The Fire Station
The first Ellsworth Fire Station was built in the early 1900s. It was used as a city hall, fire station, water works with a 30,000 gallon tank on the north side of the building. There were two wells and an electric light plant. The first fire hydrants in town were installed in 1910. This Fire Station was dismantled and replaced by a newer one in the 1930s.
As early as 1885, a cistern system designed to help put out fires in the town of Ellsworth was dug at different points on the east side of Main Street. One large cistern was dug in fromt of lot 25, blick 4, another in front of lot 28, block 4, and the third cistern in lot 11, block 5. The water was pumped by hand for fire purposes. The early system was called the fire brigade.
This 1965 image shows, at right, the City Hall and the Fire Station.
The Ellsworth Volunteer Fire Department was out in force during the 2014 Ellsworth Extravaganza Parade.
All the Fire Department's good equipment took part in the parade.