The history of our community - Page 1A
Ellsworth Images from the teens, 1910 through 1914.
406 was the population of Ellsworth in 1910.
1910 views of Ellsworth's Main Street
1910 East side of Main Street - An Automobile Parade
1910 Ellsworth Creamery
The creamery was a very busy place each day when the farmers brought the milk to be separated, and took the separated milk home. For years, butter was shipped to many markets in large cities from the Ellworth creamery, which was located on the site of the former Co-op Bulk Station.
The following are Ellsworth street scenes from 1910.
This is 1800 block of DeWitt Street (Main) looking NW.
This is the 1600 block of Dayton St., looking NW.
1800 Block of DeSota St., looking NE
Ellsworth High School basketball team of 1911
During the summer, baseball teams would play in the ball park as this 1911 photo shows.
1911 - Looking East from the Skunk River area towards
This image showing people waiting at the Depot is from
August of 1911.
This 1911 image looks north at the bridges over the Skunk River.
(The 1911 article printed in the Ellsworth Newspaper follows)
The above picture is a scene on the Skunk river, 100 rods west
of the town. The wagon bridge and the railroad bridge. Directly
north of the bridges is a most beautiful picnic grounds and one can always
find out door lovers on these grounds on clear, summer days. North
of the bridge and a few rods west is one of the most beautiful natural
ampitheatres that can be found in Iowa, and the expense would be very moderate.
Huge Walnut, Ash, Hickory and Maple trees are profusely scattered along
the river and makes a most delightful place to while away days that worldly
cares could find no place to enter into pleasant day dreams.
S. M. Brinton owns the property north of the bridges and M. H. Brinton
is the owner of land on the south.
This photo looks south at the two bridges.
East side of Main Street - 1912
On this photo showing the east side of Main Street in 1912, one sees from left;
|1. the Methodist Church spire
2. a hotel
3. a hardware store and tin shop
4. a barber shop owned by Lew Williams where his family lived upstairs
5. a grocery and merchantile store, first owned by Karl Haberly from 1895-1901, then owned by Peter Holt, Lew Williams, and George Peterson
6. the Post Office
7. a harness shop owned by Carl Thoreson
8. a wagon shop
9. at right, one sees a hardware store owned and operated by E.E. Anderson. The family lived upstairs. Later, the printing shop was housed in the basement.
1913 - Brick Grade School constructed
(click image to view a 1915 photo)
The brick Grade Schoolhouse was built next to the frame schoolhouse in 1913. This was on the West side of the street. After the High School brick building (seen on the next page) was built across the street in 1916, this school served students in the first six grades. This schoolhouse later (until 1973) served as the grade school building for the Ellworth students in the South Hamilton School District.
Note the old frame school is visible at left in the background of this image. It was moved shortly after this school was constructed. It was split into two parts to became two residences, one on each side of the street a half block north of this brick school.
This is what the West side of Main Steet looked like in about 1913.
Peterson Drug Store is at center.
(Click to enlarge this image.)
The John E. Peterson Drug Store
From left: Gus Lakin, Geo Peterson, and John Peterson
This is the interior of the Peterson Drug Store, with John Peterson and his helper Arthur Arnt on the job.
another view of John Peterson and the interior of his Drug Store
The building just north of the Bank Building ( barely visible at extreme left), is the new brick block building erected in 1913-1914 for a cost of $12,000. The building was purchased in later years by Patty Olsen Youngclas.
Next Page (1B)