A 1950s look back at Ellsworth, Iowa
photo from perhaps 1952
Looking east-northeast at the Ellsworth Depot after the second story
had been removed
| The Ellsworth Depot, built about 1877 in the
early settlement known as Callanan, was brought to Ellsworth (probably
during the 1880 winter season) to become Ellsworth's railroad Depot.
The depot was originally a two-story building
with the station agent and his family living on the second floor until
1951, when the depot was remodeled and the second floor portion was removed.
The article seen at right was published
in the Ellsworth News on July 4, 1951: - - -
- - ->
Northwesten Depot Is Being Remodeled
A crew of workmen started work Monday
morning remodeling and modernizing the C. & N. W. Railway company depot
The second story of the present
two-story structure will be torn out and the roof lowered to fit over the
first floor, converting the building into a modern one-story railroad depot.
The freight room at the east of
the depot will be removed, and the freight department will be changed to
the west end of the depot. A wide door and a dock will be installed
in this portion of the building to handle freight loading and unloading
of the NorthWestern trucks, and for the convenience of the railroad's customers.
Agent W. H. Rash's office will occupy
the east portion of the modernized building.
New cement foundations, cement floors,
new siding, insulation, and a painting of the building in a neutral color
will complete the attractiveness of the remodeled structure.
This aerial view of Ellsworth (perhaps from the mid-1950) looks northwest.
The railroad track and Iowa Highway 175 are both visible at the
bottom of this image.
The Ellsworth depot can be seen at the extreme left front corner
of this photo.
1952 - EHS Basketball Team
In February of 1952,
the Hamilton County Boys Basketball Tournament was
held in the Ellsworth gym.
The team was working hard.
The team was playing rather well, and Coach Art Ollrich made
a deal with the boys
that if they could win the tournament, they could cut his hair.
And the team won!
So the boys gathered in the locker room to cut their coach's hair.
From left to right: Myrle Tjelta, Milford Knutson, Harold Heeren,
Lyle Roberts, Mons Teig Jr, Russel Nelson, Raymond Thompson, Mike Kuhfus,
Norman Rundle, Dick Rundle.
After the cutting, Art Ollrich headed to the barber, Arnt Egnes.
Where to start?
Looking good, but my hair is much shorter.
(Pictures by Bayard Holt)
More Ellsworth in the 1950s