The early history of our community - Page D
The church building seen at left is the Methodist Episcopal Church, built in 1883. The church partially seen at the far right was the Congregational Church, constructed in 1903. Dayton Street visible at left, with DeWitt at right. The house in the center has the address of 1531 Dayton.
Iowa Highway 175 is visible at the top of the image, and the east-west street seen in the center of this image is Des Moines Avenue.
These two images were taken by Peter Holt from the belfry of the Lutheran Church. The photo above shows the portion of Ellsworth that was southeast from the church. The photo below shows the part of Ellsworth that was southwest of the church. These were captured on glass plate negatives about 1900 to 1905. Glass plate negatives are a bit similar to lantern slides. Those negatives were scanned in 1980.
This second early aerial photo shows another portion of Ellsworth from the Lutheran Church belfrey. The eight most noticeable houses are along the present DeSota Street. Those in the foreground are, from left, the former Olger Lenning house, the Dale Thompson house, the Wilford Rash house, and the Ernie Johnson house. Across the street are the house where Jim Kooker lived, the Lloyd Tuchek house, Anna Johnson's house, and Mrs. Wilke Heeren's house. If this photo were wider, Jewell Junction would be visible in the distance towards the right.
This image came from a postcard sent to Radcliffe. It says, "Will be over on the night train". At this time, most did not have an automobile, and used a horse-drawn wagon or the train to travel to the next town.
See more photos of this school and a map showing where it was located in the early Ellsworth days.
Early views of Ellsworth's Main Street
The west side of Ellsworth's Main Street
An early view of the Bank in Ellsworth
1903 - Congregational Church
1905 - Main Street
A 1905 Photo of the west side of the Main Street Business Block
Contact us if you have Ellsworth photos you would share or if you have questions or suggestions.
1907 Street Scene
This 1907 street scene looks south on DeWitt Street from the Lutheran
Church corner. The large house at left was the Lutheran Church parsonage.
The steps of the church are just visible at the extreme right.
1907 photo of the Ellsworth Creamer
The Ellsworth Creamer building.
The new A. Reynolds and H. E. Rude Company was located just north of the tracks.
Changes on Main Street include new brick buildings.
Here is another view of the Ellsworth Main Street, looking north.
1908 - Lutheran Church
A postcard mailed in 1908 shows Ellsworth's Trinity Lutheran Church.
This 1908 photo of Ellsworth area farmers with a steam
The Ellsworth Baseball Team of 1909
Back row - Gordon Osborne, Arthur Peterson, Sam Severson, Tto.....,
Otto Satter, Myron Blair, Con. Tjetland
The next page shows Ellsworth "in the teens"